About Rocket Science
Rocket Science is a design + technology firm headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Los Angeles, New York, and Portland. We provide a unique combination of both creative, development and IT services for clients big and small. On the creative & development side, we’re passionate about interactive, mobile, and user experience design. We also love branding, identity, print, and video. Got a crazy idea for an integrated creative project? Yeah, we can do that, and we’ll make it look great. The same philosophy applies on our technology side: We handle every aspect of IT and technology infrastructure, with a proven approach that includes tech support, engineering, IT management, and IT operations.
About Rocket Science Employees
You can talk about music, the arts, politics, and food. You can fix an exchange server or XSAN when it breaks. You like to do both at the same time.
We like our clients, and we like stuff other than computer related technology. Publishing, architecture, the law, software development, marketing, design. These aren’t something we “support”; this is stuff we’re interested in. To be an RSC employee, you have be someone who likes meeting and getting to know everyone around you. You have to actually LIKE walking into a room filed with people you don’t know and be genuinely interested in what they have to offer YOU, not just what you can offer THEM.
Job Description: Mission Specialist
Job Title: Mission Specialist
Department: Client Operations
Reports To: Various
Philosophical Umbrella: Engineering
The Mission Specialist (MS) must rock™. Responsible for all proactive engineering services at Rocket Science, the position encompasses coaching RSC staff, creating proposals and managing projects, delivering technical consultative services to clients and providing technical QA on RSC service delivery. In addition, Project delivery, direct communication of technical priorities, processes and plans to client executive staff, maintenance program creation and execution, & network monitoring are your deal. Ultimately, the MS is responsible for the technical health and future IT planning for assigned clients.
The Mission Specialist is a specialized position – each MS creates their own area of expertise spanning the technical and the business side of the equation. We have Mission Specialists who are senior helpdesk engineers, some who run the RocketNet MSP services for Rocket and some who are sales engineers. This is a choose your own adventure position focusing on technical skills.
• Mission Specialist – Client R&D: Sales Engineering and up-sell of clients, ex. through RocketEye implementations.
• MS – RocketDesk Program Engineer: Maintains RocketDesk service implementation, i.e. RMM toolset, Firewalls, Online Backup, etc.
• MS – Special Projects: Direct daily project delivery for a significant period of time, typically managing a particular client full time
• MS – Service Desk Engineer: Senior Service/help Desk Rock star
The Mission Specialist coaches RSC Staff, creates proposals and manages projects, consults with executive management at clients, and QAs technical delivery of support and project work & maintenance programs.
1. Build strong communication channels and trust with assigned client executives, evangelizing not only RSC core IT competencies, but the general RSC coolness and our business process focus
2. Working with Mission Engineers, the MS mines assigned clients for new project work, upgrades, and needed improvements to the existing IT infrastructure
3. Working with Mission Engineers, the MS creates needed proposals for these project, upgrades, and improvements
4. The MS is responsible for communicating with executive staff at assigned clients to manage project expectations, drive all strategic technical decisions, deliver ROI and value arguments for projects, upgrades and improvements.
5. Working with Mission Engineers, the MS QAs all technical delivery, and is ultimately responsible for the technical state for assigned clients, including ensuring up to date documentation.
The infamous “Other Duties as Assigned”.
1. Participate in frequent IT Management-level consulting meetings with clients and Flight Leader
2. Draft and present annual, quarterly, and project-based technical reports for assigned clients
3. Perform bi-weekly visits (or as needed) to clients in order to provide high-level consulting, including:
• New technologies which could streamline client’s business processes
• Recommendations for upgrade cycles of workstations and software
• HR-related issues such as Fair Use Policies, benefits/drawbacks of hiring internal support, etc.
4. Attend pitch meetings with Rocket Science’s CEO or Flight leader for potential new clients who have already been pre-qualified by the sales team
5. Draft and present follow-up RFPs based on prospect’s needs and current IT situation
6. Manage the Initial Audit Process for all new clients
Education, Certifications, Licenses, Experience, Skill or Registrations.
Required: College Degree. High Level of Technical Skills and understanding. Ability to quickly write detailed reports for non-technical clients. Ability to read and understand P&L Statements. Ability to effectively communicate in written, verbal and meeting format both value proposition and technical need to diverse set of clients.
Salary to be determined; depends on experience